Thursday, September 6, 2012

Give her some space.
Let her decide.
Let her do it alone.
Keep that opinion to yourself.
Sing along to her kind of music.
These are things I'm constantly repeating to myself in my head.
Just when I thought I was getting the hang of this parenting thing, we've entered a new phase. Actually we entered it about a year ago, but I'm just catching on.



















My favorite girl in the entire world turned 7 today.
 I will not bore you with the "where did the time go?" or the "it seems like just yesterday..." because you know what I'm talking about. Her birthdays have always been exciting for me, but I'm finding this one tricky. I wouldn't say I'm sad, it just feels different.
Maybe it's her increased independence? Not because I'm sad that she doesn't need me to do things for her. More because it seems like she's becoming a real person. An actual human who moves through the world in her own way based on who she is, and what her surroundings/family/teachers/peers have taught her. She's just so capable of so much. She is her own little person with her own little  BIG ideas.
Everyday I try to focus on being the person she needs me to be, and not trying to make her the person I want her to be. I want her to be her.