Saturday, August 18, 2012

Roadtrip Review

Aaaaand, we're back!

Our summer vacay was anything but relaxing.
We took a road trip, yes as in driving with a baby and a child, to Spokane, WA to see my fam. There were aunties, uncles, cousins, and baby cousins. We ate, laughed, swam, shook dice, went on roller coasters, and whacked a pinata. We saw mountains, lakes, fields, monuments, and wildlife. Uh, yeah, we made some serious family memories.
And I learned some lessons... here are my top ten:
1. Your baby will not sleep well in a pack 'n play. He will not want to nap, he will go down with a fight and he will wake up in the middle of the night every night. Yawn.
2. Stay at the cheap motel on the first leg of your trip, and the nice hotel on the way home. It's the "best for last" philosophy that I will be sure to follow next time.
3. You will return chubby. No biggie. But I'm glad we don't have Taco Time and/or Sonic anywhere near my home.
4. Not everyone who brings their child into a truck stop at 2 a.m. and buys a Mt. Dew and an apple fritter is a drug addict. The Mt. Dew was for my husband, not my child just to clarify, thank you.
5. Over-pack. Sophie and I both brought 4 pairs of shoes each, and we both ended up wearing rubber flip flops the entire time. But just knowing those extra shoes were there was worth it. Fo sho.
6.  If given the choice between a national chain or mom and pop ice cream shop, go with mom and pop. You will be handsomely rewarded.
7. STOP! Get out and breathe, stretch, shop for horrible souvenirs, take pictures in front of over sized statues. It makes the next stretch of driving so much more tolerable.
8. Send post cards. Friends/family back home get a kick out of it.
9. Our children were made for life on the road. Very few peeps out of the back seat.
10. It's hard to have to leave to go home, but it's even harder when you have to say goodbye to people you love. Awww. Sweet.

If you need me I'll be doing laundry.
xoxo